Monday, January 6, 2014

Never A Dull Moment


No matter what we do or where we go there is always an adventure awaiting. Whether it’s trying not to hit boda-bodas in the city, trying to back out around a parked truck behind us with 5 Ugandan men helping us out, going shopping at the market in the dark because the power is out, or even chasing goats and chickens off of our front porch. They are so loud and obnoxious! It doesn’t matter where we are, there is always an adventure. This particular situation was quite the adventure alright..

We had just pulled up to the gate at Upendo, and no guards were around to open the gate for us. We had a long journey home from Jinja and shopping. It was so hot, and honestly we were ready to crash! There were cold groceries in the back of the car, and with how hot it was we were afraid the meat was going to spoil. So, Aly had a brilliant idea. She looks at me, after honking the horn for ten minutes, and says, “Hey Kaitlyn, maybe we could jump the wall!”. Um, ok. Yeah, sounds like loads of fun, Aly! So, she looks at me with the look of, “Ok, go ahead!”. At first I told her she could do the honor of jumping the wall, but then we both thought about what would happen on the other side. It was then that we decided that I would jump the wall seeing as how I am the gymnast and would probably have a better dismount. And so, jump the wall I did..and yes, in a skirt.......



Climbing the wall I thought to myself..



I am going to roll an ankle, and those of you who know my story know that is very possible..


But I jumped anyways, and I made it! It kind of reminded me of “jumps over the beam” back in my gym days..



After jumping the wall, Aly quickly handed me the cold groceries and the keys to the house. Half way to the house, I looked back to yell to her that our neighbors were not home. When I turned around, I saw a guard opening the door for her. He had run up the hill to buy something from a market. Of course, just my luck. Once I got to the door, I unlocked the lock, and prayed that there was power in the house. Thankfully it was on, and my hard work and awesome dismount wasn’t for nothing!

- Kaitlyn 



1 comment:

  1. Love reading your blog posts Kaitlyn and am looking forward to more! (I'm a friend of your mom's from high school)

    ReplyDelete